A few simply SEO Tips
01/03/12 23:28 Filed in: SEO
When it comes to SEO, every little helps!1. Always keep your content uptodate: I know keywords are important but keeping your content new and fresh makes people come back for more even if you're not ranking so high on search engines. Search engines prefer to have update websites rather than sites stuff full of keywords and more importantly, so do your reader as well as potential customers. Imagine if Yahoo never updated their site when it first launched back in 1997, it would still look like this, although I kinda like it's simplicity, ahh the good ol' days!
2. Title of you web page: This is at the top of you page. Now its easy to get carried away with writing a whole of stuff at the top of your page hoping that it will get picked up by keyword typing readers, but theirs no point if the search engine wont show it in their search results. Google only shows about 7-8 words so make sure those words count. Have your most important keywords at the front. And if its a sentence, make sure it reads well since if its too long, it will get cut off. "I used to finish my sentences but now I just ...
3. Your Web Address: Do try to include a keyword within your web address. I know I didn't, wrong move, which meant it was even harder for me to get my rankings up. Eventually, I got on to page one concentrating on just a few keywords - Web Design Welwyn Garden City. I wanted to see if I could get onto page 1 without having to pay any money on advertising whatsoever. I originally started on page 14. I have made the top spot but only for a few weeks, just goes to show that the competition is fierce for page one. I like to think of it as the silent battlefield. It's every web designers goal (driven by their clients!) to hit that top spot and I'm no exception. Of course, if your prepared to pay, then the path the top becomes a lot easier.
4. Headers: Ensure that you have keywords within your Main Headers on your site. Your headers have to be tagged with H1 H2 and so on. Having your header in bold using a bigger font size may not be as effective. I'm not sure how it works, but search engines pick up on these tags as well as your title and web address.
5. Meta tags: Description and Keywords. Again check your description when it shows up on the search engine. It might get cut off so their no point writing a book. Don't go crazy on your keywords or try to manipulate the search engines. They will ban you, trust me on this one.
6. Alternative Text: If an image on your site can't be read on wont upload on screen for whatever reason, its always important to have an Alternative Text to be able to view on screen so your readers can see at at least a description if the unthinkable happens. Now again this gets pick up by the search engines. Best way to find out what works and what doesn't is to simply test your site on the search engine but this time click on Images view and see which part of your ALT text gets pick up.
7. Backlinks: As humans, we are all connected to someone in some way. And that's how your website should be too. Try and be connected to as many sites as possible but not just any site they have to be relative. Start off by adding yourself to a few free internet directories which I will list soon. Then approach perhaps businesses who may be related to your site but not in direct competition. Simply ask them if they would like have a reciprocating link on each other site. Networking and communicating with as many people as you can always helps generate business and awareness. I said people, not necessarily email. Email is good but talking is better.
8. Google Places: Goto www.google.com/places And get Started on Get your Business Found On Google. That was simple! Goto Goggle Place blog for more details.
9. YouTube: Create a YouTube account and create a profile of your company. Ensure that you website address is at the beginning of the description of your profile.
10. Email Marketing: If Google or any other search engine goes bust, god forbid, simply tell people about your business. Create a database of email addresses and promote your site via email at least once a month.